Close

Account

Documentation

Forum

Menu

page load speeds are terrible – and need addresing

hunter.nigel
    April 21, 2015 at 9:45 pm #11058

Hi – I just ran my site through Gooogle page speed test and it came out with a terrible result (19/100)- the main issue was highlighted as ‘Eliminate render-blocking JavaScript and CSS in above-the-fold content’ and ‘Enable compression’

How do I get something fixed to address this?

given the latest Google algorithm changes today, its more important than ever that I get my mobile experience sorted – and fast

thanks

MarcheLive
    April 22, 2015 at 6:21 am #11061

I feel your pain. I scored a 4/100 on my first run. After optimizing I have a 88/100.

Based on my own experience, the render-blocking is not your primary problem.
    I’m not elimating any render-blocking scripts and still score an 88.

You will see a big jump if you enable compression and install a cache manager such as W3 Total Cache plugin.

To enable compression you’ll have to talk to your host provider. I have Godaddy and was able to turn it on myself via the cpanel/Optimization page.

I installed W3 Total Cache and enabled Page Cache (Disk Enhance) and Browser Cache. I used the following article to eliminate render-blocking scripts: http://customizewp.com/eliminate-render-blocking-javascript-and-css-above-the-fold-content-in-wordpress-w3-total-cache
    After I eliminated the render-blocking scripts my website freaked out so I turned it off. I tried enabling Database Cache and Object Cache but they actually slowed down my site.

Finally I optimized all my photos using Photoshop’s ‘Save for Web’ option. That helped a lot.
    In all my score jumped 84 points.
    I hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 7 months ago by  MarcheLive.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.