High volume on Ajax calls from the theme causing 504

March 10, 2018 at 12:27 am #29432

I have a news site with high traffic, 2-3 million page views a month and have a huge problem with Ajax calls from the theme when the traffic spikes. it is causing the site to be inaccessible and causes 504 errors. I have it hosted on a dedicated enterprise server with WP Engine, I have tried to solve the issue with WP engine but we keep coming back to the theme issue. How do I have you look at it?
    Here is the last email that I got from support at WP Engine:

Thanks for your patience! Checking into the site’s behavior, the bulk of the 504 errors are calls to /?ajax-request=jnews. When monitoring admin-ajax usage, there are a lot of calls to /?ajax-request=jnews very frequently. I believe that this is the source of the problem.

I recommend contacting the theme developer and having them look into the rate at which the ajax-request parameter is being called, and it’s possible relation to the social functionality. If they can help make adjustments to have the site not calling itself at such a high rate, that should help to get things under control.

If you have any questions, just let us know and we’ll be here to help!

WP Engine Michael Clayton – L2 Customer Support Ninja | CDN Subject Matter Expert

March 12, 2018 at 9:44 am #29463

Hi sashabogi,

On the newer version of JNews (v1.2.0 or higher), we have been decreasing the ajax request that comes from the theme when first time site loaded. It only does one request at first-time site loading to handler post view counter and login form.

Also, for ajax request we no longer using admin-ajax.php but we use a custom endpoint to handle ajax request Can you provide me the URL of your website, I will check it directly on my side.

Thank you

March 12, 2018 at 8:44 pm #29491

The URL of the site is

March 12, 2018 at 11:12 pm #29494
    This reply has been marked as private.
    March 13, 2018 at 4:23 pm #29523

hi sashabogi, i see your log, the issue is related to background process (for fetching number of share on your post).
    this background process come from JNews social share plugin. its cached for 24 hours. before it re fetched again.

i also notice your website is disabling social share. are you disable social share on purpose?
    it seems your with those number of request, your server exhausted when requesting to other server (fetching share number).
    do you want to disable this functionality? or do you want do disable the plugin all together?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.