Account

Documentation

Forum

Menu

Display Category Parents In Portfolio Page

pavlovagency
    July 15, 2015 at 12:10 am #12958

Hi there,

Is there an option to display category parents under the ‘Portfolio List’ filter?

For example, lets say I made the following Categories (parents) and Sub-Categories (children):

Client
    – Client 1
    – Client 2
    – Client 3

Industry
    – Industry 1
    – Industry 2
    – Industry 3

Medium
    – Medium 1
    – Medium 2
    – Medium 3

Currently, a page intended for displaying portfolio(s) is only allowing me to categorize portfolio items/posts by the following:

Client 1
    Client 2
    Client 3
    Industry 1
    Industry 2
    Industry 3
    Medium 1
    Medium 2
    Medium 3

I tried making more than one page for displaying a portfolio due to the fact that they need to be assigned a ‘page parent’. From there, with a custom template page, I developed a function to bring in each ‘parent page’ within one DOM element using AJAX. However, besides there being repeated code, they all still had the same global filter list. It seems that their post ID is not making a difference in choosing what categories are available.

Now I am trying to develop a function or plugin that could help me get only the portfolio items/posts based on the parent category and sub-category I choose. For example, create a custom menu with list items: All, Client, Industry, Medium. If I choose ‘Client’, bring in portfolio items listed only under ‘Client’ and let me sort them only by ‘Client 1, Client 2, Client 3’.

I have even tried so far as to fetch the tables myself with SQL…

global $wpdb;
    $querystr = ”
    SELECT $wpdb->name, $wpdb->term_id
    FROM $wpdb->wp_terms as wt JOIN $wpdb->wp_term_taxonomy as tx
    WHERE $wpdb->tx.parent = 0
    AND $wpdb->tx.taxonomy = ‘portfolio_category’
    “;

$answers = $wpdb->get_results($querystr);

Please let me know if this is going in the right direction or if there’s an alternative option. However, I’m open to proceeding with additional development and making theme modifications.

Thank you.

Adek
    July 17, 2015 at 7:13 am #12994

Hi pavlovagency,

Unfortunately, there is no option to achieve that at the moment. You will need to do some change in there to achieve your own need.

Actually we do small modification and customization that related with our themes. But if you having big customization that required using themes, you may need to hire programmer to help you. We also provide Customization Service for our themes.

Please check our Support Policy right here http://support.jegtheme.com/support-policy/

Thank you

pavlovagency
    July 21, 2015 at 12:41 am #13068

Dek Ery,

Your explanation is understood.

However, there is some concern before moving forward with custom programming. How exactly are the portfolio categories being assigned to each individual portfolio post? By looking at the posts table, there happens to be no relation whatsoever between posts and taxonomies. Thus, we are currently unable to populate posts by their categories with any query method from WordPress.

Could you help explain this?

Your time and effort is much appreciated.

Thank you.

Adek
    July 27, 2015 at 2:10 am #13158

Hi pavlovagency,

Sorry for late reply your message.

On portfolio, we’re using custom post type. If you want to show portfolio posts associated with certain categories, actually you can do it normally as like on blog post.

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.