Close

Account

Documentation

Forum

Menu

Best option for what I need (Gallery vs Portfolio)

waynerd
    June 29, 2014 at 3:24 am #862

Hey guys, I’m new to the whole gallery portfolio thing especially in your theme. I just want your recommendation on which way to go for the below scenario.

Photography website with the option to order a print.

– I have many different categories.
    – I need to create a main page with a masonry (gallery or portfolio) that contains only photos in one category for EACH category.
    – Then from each first page the thumbnails in the masonry section are clickable to a single page with the large version of the photo and the details and options for buying/ordering.

Which is the best option to obtain this?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  waynerd.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  waynerd.
    Jegbagus
    June 29, 2014 at 10:31 am #868

hi waynerd, if you are only going to sell photo on your website, i will recommend you to use shop page only that you able to generate using woocommerce. something like this : http://jkreativ.jegtheme.com/flat/product/beer-brochure-template/

but you can also use our portfolio (as masonry for listing) and side content for single page, and on content of those side content portfolio, you can add button to linked to your shop page.
    example : http://jkreativ.jegtheme.com/photography/portfolio/reading-in-library/ and give button to your single shop page.

Thank you

waynerd
    June 29, 2014 at 5:33 pm #874

Am I able to make 8 different masonry “shop” pages though?

I have 8 or more different categories of photos, these need to all be on their own separate pages like this:http://jkreativ.jegtheme.com/architecture/project/

Then, when a photo is clicked it takes the user to a “product” page like this one: http://jkreativ.jegtheme.com/bike/product/colossium-dhx-team/

I’m just looking for some direction in the best way to do with the most flexibility. I think I understand what you mean but want to be sure before I get started as I have lots of images.

Also, on the product page. Is there a way to make the product info section on the right take up less space? I need very little room for the product info and would rather the page show more photo.
    Thanks guys,
    W

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  waynerd.
    Jegbagus
    June 30, 2014 at 7:40 am #884

hi waynerd, ah i know. you can use one of our feature :

so you can create portfolio list, but when people click the portfolio, it will go to shop page instead of portfolio it self. i think it will be match with what you need.

Thank you

waynerd
    June 30, 2014 at 3:12 pm #906

Okay so I have to create a single portfolio page for each photo so that I can get it to display in the Portfolio List. Then create a single product page for each photo if I want to sell it.

Not very streamlined. It would be much easier if the above option could be added to each media item in a gallery.

So, now, if I do all this, How to I get my Portfolio List Page to only display ONE category of my single portfolio items? I see no option on the Portfolio List page to define a category to display.

I will have 8 Portfolio List pages that all need to display separate categories.

waynerd
    June 30, 2014 at 4:01 pm #907

I have set two pages as Portfolio Lists.
    I can see on my first Single Portfolio Item that there is an option to define Portfolio Parent but it shows no options to select.

My Portfolio List pages show no images. (yes I added an image to the only option that allows)

waynerd
    July 3, 2014 at 4:51 pm #1088

Yeah great support guys. Three days without and answer.

Thanks for selling me on your theme that DOESN’T do what you said it could do. Because I actually want to make some PROGRESS on my site this year I’ve given up on your theme and moved on. Also filed a complaint with Envato about this theme and the previous one that also didn’t work. Seems Themeforest has gone into the shitter.

Thanks for nothing.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  waynerd.
    Jegbagus
    July 3, 2014 at 9:03 pm #1103

hi waynerd, im very sorry. i may not see your thread because it go far to second page.

1. ‘Not very streamlined. It would be much easier if the above option could be added to each media item in a gallery’

i think i can make some change for you, but currently it will be in some condition. (this is all we can do for now, future update will need alot of tweak, and we will need to think the best way to keep all functionality while we also need to have additional feature)
    – you can only use this with side content page
    – image title will change to your shop url
    – so if you click the image it will go to your shop page, its mean you wont be able to zoom the image.

i also like your idea go provide go to shop button for every image on portfolio i really like it.
    is good additional option. it also add additional good feature to our themes.
    im planing to add drop down on gallery to which product it will relate.
    Thank you for your suggestion!!!!

but we will need to pending to create change this big because we currently on our way to create page builder.
    after visual composer (page buidler) is finished, i will add this feature.

2. we don’t have such option (category filter on portfolio) because we separate portfolio item list base on parent. we personally this is better implementation rather than category filter for portfolio page.
    with parent portfolio, you can have beautiful URL like :
    http://yoururl.com/image-project/detail-project
    http://yoururl.com/movie-project/detail-project
    so you can create several parent, and assign each of your portfolio single item to spesific parent.
    we believe in this themeforest, we are the only one who implement this kind of portfolio option. on our previous themes, we are using caregory base filter, but we think this one is better chooice.

Btw if you want those custom change, please contact us right here : http://themeforest.net/user/jegtheme , we will not be able to write all needed code right here because it separated on several location and it will make you confuse to make a change.

also we notice that you already give us low rating. no worry waynerd, you are still our customer, and we understand, and its very silly problem on us (pass to check second page question), but it will give us a head up.

Thank you for your suggestion btw.

waynerd
    July 3, 2014 at 9:22 pm #1106

I appreciate the help and trying to come up with solutions. Sadly it’s too late. I dedicated last weekend and Tuesday (a holiday here) to get this at least close to being finished and I spent too much time waiting for answers that never came. I don’t have the time wait for new features/upgrades etc as this website needs to be live ASAP. I got tired of wasting time and decided to go with a different solution all together. Themeforest in general has lost me as a user. I doubt they’ll refund me even though I paid for TWO themes that I can’t use but whatever.

I’m burned out on this whole process.

Thanks for at least getting back to me.

Jegbagus
    July 3, 2014 at 9:33 pm #1108

hi waynerd, its very silly unfortunate for me. i’m not checking second page of this forum. or if i check it, i miss your thread. btw if you want to use our first recommendation, we can actually just wait a few minutes. its a fast change.

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.