Close

Account

Documentation

Forum

Menu

Display full blog post and other questions

anon
    May 30, 2017 at 1:18 pm #23867

I am trying to create a home page with a Masonry layout featuring blog posts.

I would like to:

• Display full post content in the masonry tiles (rather than an excerpt and “continued” link)
    • Selectively hide date, author, category, commenting, etc. on some posts but not all
    • Have a “sticky” post that does not go away when you scroll down the page of masonry tiles

I am also using a collapsed sidebar (instead of a heading bar) and would like the search icon/option to be visible on that sidebar in addition to the collapsed menu icon and the social media icons. Is this doable? Is it possible to add another icon/function as well?

Adek
    May 31, 2017 at 2:01 am #23870

Hi anon,

1. About creating your website home page with a masonry layout, you need to create a page with Blog – Masonry Layout page template.

2. Unfortunately we don’t have an option to show full post content. You will need to make some changes on our theme. Find these file jkreativ-themes/template/blogpost/masonry.php then jump into line 35 and you will find these code like below :

Then replace with this one below :

3. About selectively hide date, author, category, comment and sticky post, unfortunately at the moment we don’t have those kind of feature.

Also, about adding search icon into sidebar menu it’s doable but we don’t have an option on our theme to achieve that. If you interest you can use our Custom Change Service here http://support.jegtheme.com/custom-change-service/

Let us know if you have further question.

Thank you

anon
    May 31, 2017 at 9:28 am #23872

Thank you! I may try your custom service.

In the meanwhile, I seem to have one small bug and a typo.

The bug is in the Facebook button that appears under posts. It appears as a blue-colored box that is about 25% of the width and height of the other buttons (i.e., Twitter, Google+, Pinterest) and which is not displaying either an icon or text (probably because it is not big enough). It is only the Facebook button that has an issue.

The typo I see is in the meta for each entry on the masonry style page. Here is what I see:

Filled under : Unassigned
    Author : Test
    Comment Number : No Comment Yet

The first word should be “Filed” not “Filled”. And there should be no spaces before the “:”.

However, if I want to change the displayed field names to something else, can you tell which file they are located in? For example, I may want to have this instead:

Category: Unassigned
    By: Test
    Comments: No Comment Yet

Thanks.

anon
    May 31, 2017 at 9:44 am #23873

Actually, I found one other thing: on my sidebar, the last social media icon is not being fully displayed — it is partially cut off. I’m not sure if the container is not big enough for 7 social media icons or if it is another issue. If it can only fit 6, then I guess I will have to change.

Thanks.

Adek
    May 31, 2017 at 10:11 am #23874

Hi anon,

About the Facebook issue as you mention on above, can you please provide me the url of the page so i can check it directly on my side.

About meta information, you can edit this file jkreativ-themes/template/blogpost/article-masonry-bottom-meta.php the you can search the word that you want to change.

About social account on sidebar, yes you’re right. Actually there’s no issue but in this case you have many social items that’s make on certain social item goes into bottom area.

We will suggest you to use child theme on your site, so when you’re going to update the theme, your change wont lose.

Let us know if you need further help.

Thank you

anon
    May 31, 2017 at 10:23 am #23875
    This reply has been marked as private.
    anon
    May 31, 2017 at 11:40 am #23876

Separately, I’ve never used a child theme before.

When you talk about making changes to the theme, am I supposed to copy over theme-related files that I update to the child folders?

For example, I made the change to the jkreativ-themes/template/blogpost/masonry.php you mentioned above and it worked perfectly.

Am I supposed to copy that file over to the child theme folder or anything like that?

It is not clear what steps I am supposed to take when editing code like this.

Adek
    June 1, 2017 at 2:55 am #23881

Hi anon,

I just check your site on Firefox and works fine on my side.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0nx6odpziy0qcbv/Screenshot%202017-06-01%2010.45.35.png?dl=0

About child theme you can check this page for detail information https://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

Thank you

anon
    June 2, 2017 at 12:28 pm #23892

I had another question. I understand that I can style individual posts (and post excerpts) by category using CSS.

But from what I’ve read (here: https://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/post_class), the following snippet of code needs to be included somewhere in the theme files: <?php post_class(); ?>.

After this is added, I can then style the CSS according to whatever classes might apply, including by category.

I am currently using the blog masonry layout. Can you tell me where I would add this snippet?

anon
    June 3, 2017 at 2:05 am #23893

Another question: I want to change what is displayed for the “meta-top” snippet under the title of a blog post in the normal layout. Right now, it says “by [author link], May 31, 2017.” Can you tell me what template file this is in?

Adek
    June 3, 2017 at 2:10 am #23894

Hi Anon,

Actually, on JKreativ we’re not using post_class() function. In this case you need to check several file that have prefix masonry- on this folder jkreativ-themes/template/blogpost/

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.