Account

Documentation

Forum

Menu

Changing Sidebar Navigation

orvarh
    July 21, 2014 at 12:42 pm #1956

Hi.

I need to make some changes to the Sidebar Navigation.

1. I need the Parent pages to be only titles, not clickable and be expanded at all times.
    2. I need to have a hover effect when hoving the sub-catergories.
    3. I need the sub-pages to be highlighted when selected so that the user knows which page he is on.

I tried changing between themes for the navigation but none of them seemed to have what I need.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
    Orvar

Rai
    July 23, 2014 at 2:54 am #2006

Hi Orvar,

1) You can add custom link with hash url “#”. To make it always expanded it may need some tweaks.
    2) Actually, text color changed when get hovered.
    3) Active page will have different color just like hover effect.

If you want to have different style on hover or active page, you can add custom css.

Thank you

Rai

orvarh
    July 23, 2014 at 11:26 am #2031

Hello Rai, thank you for your feedback.

So in order for the Menu category DOLPHINS to always be expanded I can add a hash url ‘#’ to it where? In the Page settigns for that page (DOLPHINS)?

I get no hover change when hovering the sub-categories below DOLPHINS for example and when I click one of those categories, like ATLANTIC WHITE SIDED DOLPHIN, I don’t see it highlighted/selected in the Menu list.

– What CSS do I need to add to have the whole frame around the text change color when hovering it and again with another color when it is selected?

Here is the site for reference: http://kiosk.whalesoficeland.is

Orvar

Rai
    July 24, 2014 at 7:26 am #2075

Hi Orvar,

No, I mean add “#” to make your link going nowhere, but seems you have figure it out how to disable link.
    To make those DOLPHINS child menu always expanded, please add this css into Additional Style:

You don’t get hover effect because you’re not using an anchor link for those menu. If you do has anchor link that direct to page, those link will get hover effect and has different style when you on those page.

Thank you

orvarh
    July 24, 2014 at 4:21 pm #2103

Hi.

Thank you for the CSS, the parent groups are now always expanded.

Regarding seeing hover and selected effects on the Menu. I used to have this working when I was using the TOP menu, but the side menu just doesn’t show it. I’m trying to figure out where to set an anchor link. Should I add it somewhere in the Page editor itself or the Menu editor should I change the Permalink settings?

Orvar

Rai
    July 26, 2014 at 4:59 am #2155

Hi Orvar,

You can change your Side Navigation settings in theme customizer: Appearance > Customize > Navigation – Side (Main Navigation), you can set link color & hover color. Please make sure that you not override color setting via custom CSS.

To set custom URL for your menu you need to edit from Appearance > Menus. Please read here for more information about Menus: http://codex.wordpress.org/Appearance_Menus_Screen#Custom_Links

Thank you

orvarh
    July 30, 2014 at 12:52 pm #2328

I have changed all of the colors in the Side Navigation settingsin theme customizer, that is how I got the look currently shown here:
    http://kiosk.whalesoficeland.is/?page_id=32

The problem is that even if I put a solid yellow color on the hover state or selected state, it doesn’t show that in the actual side menu on the site. It just doesnt’ work. I got it to work when I was using the top menu, but I need to use the side menu version.

I don’t have any custom CSS that is affecting this.

Let me know if you need access so that you can investigate this problem further for me.

Thank you very much for all your help,
    Orvar

Rai
    July 31, 2014 at 11:23 am #2361

Hi Orvar,

Recently it’s known as a bug, please read here how to fix it: http://support.jegtheme.com/forums/topic/side-navigation-bug/#post-2301

Thank you

orvarh
    August 13, 2014 at 11:57 am #2928

Replacing template/additionalcss.php with the new css did not fix this.

The first level menu items in Top Menu still don’t show an Active state when the user is on a sub-category within it.

I need this basic fucntionality to work before I make this site public, I truly hope you can help me out.

Best regards,
    Orvar

Rai
    August 14, 2014 at 1:39 pm #2968

Hi Orvar,

Please follow this link: http://support.jegtheme.com/forums/topic/top-menu-category-not-showing-selected-state/#post-2967

Thanks!

orvarh
    August 14, 2014 at 3:20 pm #2985

Thank you Rai.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.